Submit a building permit application online with Cloudpermit.
Download and print a building permit application to be submitted in-person.
Building permits are required for all structures as defined in the Ontario Building Code Act, Ontario Building Code and Township By-laws. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Sheds and shipping containers exceeding 15 sq. meters (161 sq.ft).
Sheds and shipping containers not exceeding 15 sq. meters (161 sq.ft) in gross area that is not more than one storey in building height, is not attached to a building or structure and is used for storage purposes ancillary to a principal building on the lot and does not have plumbing are exempt from building permit requirements). *Please note: structures not requiring a Building Permit are still required to comply with the Zoning By-law
- Any detached structure over 10 sq. metres (108 sq. feet) which does not comply to the statement above. *Please note: structures not requiring a Building Permit are still required to comply with the Zoning By-law
- Additions regardless of size
- Wood burning appliances
- Decks either greater than 0.6 metres (2 feet) above grade or attached to the structure
- Outdoor swimming pools and other artificial bodies of water over 0.6 metres (2 feet) deep as per the Pool Enclosure By-law 96-111 (PDF)
- Pergolas over 18.6 sq. metres (200 sq. feet)
- Tent or group of tents exceeding 60 sq. metres (646 sq. feet)
- Change of use of a building
- Structural, plumbing, life safety renovations to an existing building including the addition of a bedroom
- Retaining wall exceeding 1 metre (3.3 feet) in height meeting the requirements of a designated structure under the Ontario Building Code. Please see the Retaining Wall Bulletin (PDF) for further information.
- Permanent docks with a support structure occupying more than 15 sq.m (161.5 sq.ft) of shore land “land covered by water”.
- Signs that are ground mounted and exceeds 6m2 (65 sq. feet) in face area; a ground mounted sign that exceeds 7.5 m (25 feet) in height above the adjacent finished grade; a projecting sign that weighs more than 115kg (254 lbs); or, a roof sign that has any face that is more than 10m2 (108 sq.ft).
- Solar Collectors mounted to a building with face area of 5 sq. metres (54 sq. feet) or more
- Demolition of an existing building that is over 10 sq. metres (108 sq. feet), or portion of a building or structure (excluding farm buildings).
A site plan identifies buildings and structures in relation to property boundaries and other features. A site plan is required to be submitted with every building permit application as per Township Building By-law 22-030.
The following information must be shown on a site plan:
- Title and scale
- Street name(s)
- North arrow
- Property lines with dimensions
- All existing and proposed structures including the sewage system with dimensions and well location (if applicable)
- Setbacks (distance) to all property lines and sewage system from all existing and proposed structures
- Lot coverage of existing and proposed structures
- Rights-of-way and easements
- Any creek, drainage, water courses or steep slopes