What are the different types of beach ownership in the Township of Tiny?
The various scenarios regarding waterfront ownership rights for properties on Georgian Bay in Tiny include:
- First Nation ownership to water’s edge (i.e. Christian Island)
- Provincial ownership to water’s edge (i.e. Awenda Park)
- Township ownership to water’s edge (i.e. Township owned portions of Woodland Beach, Bluewater Beach, Jackson Park Beach, Balm Beach, Lafontaine Beach and various other municipal properties that may be signed to indicate the extent of Municipal Ownership)
- Communal ownership to water’s edge (i.e. Rowntree Beach)
- Individual ownership to water’s edge
- Unknown ownership to water’s edge
How do I determine the ownership rights for a particular beach area?
- Ask the Township if the beach is owned by the Township. The Township has made significant efforts to sign and demarcate many beaches and beach access/pathways that are Township owned.
- If the beach is not municipally owned, you can contact the Land Registry Office in Barrie to possibly obtain further information.
- If you are a waterfront property owner, you can retain an Ontario Land Surveyor to prepare an updated survey to determine the boundaries of the property.
- Obtain a legal opinion from a lawyer.
How do I determine whether a property has deeded access rights to a beach?
Review your deed/title information with a lawyer to obtain a legal opinion. The Township does not confirm title or easements for any deeded beach access for/from any particular private property.
- Resolution 476/14, Sept. 8, 2014 (PDF) - Notice of Abandonment
- Survey Report Plan 779 (PDF)
- Order of Justice MacKinnon dated April 22, 2014 (PDF)
- Letter to Residents of Plan 779 dated April 7, 2014 (PDF)
- Letter to Residents of Plan 779 dated September 16, 2013 (PDF)
- Letter to Residents of Plan 779 dated July 15, 2013 (PDF)
Block B, Plan 656 and Woodland Beach
- Township Update Letter dated June 16, 2015 (PDF)
- Township letter regarding Court of Appeal Decision, May 6, 2013 (PDF)
- Court of Appeal Decision issued April 30, 2013 (PDF)
- Court of Appeal Hearing Date posted May 15, 2012 (PDF)
- Township Update letter dated April 2, 2012 (PDF)
- Township Update letter dated January 17, 2012 (PDF)
Survey of Original Road Allowance Between Concessions 18 & 19
- Appeal to Ontario Superior Court of Justice, November 21, 2013, Moranis (PDF) - November 21, 2013
- Appeal to Ontario Superior Court of Justice, November 25, 2013 (PDF) - November 25, 2013
- Surveyor General's Decision (PDF) - October 24, 2013
- Plan and Field Notes of the Retracement Survey (PDF)
- Notice of Hearing (PDF) - as published in the Midland Free Press on September 20, 2012, for four consecutive weeks.
- Report of Survey (PDF)
- Notice of Postponement of Hearing (PDF) - as published in the Midland Free Press, December 15, 2011.