Sign In

Township of Tiny

Skip Navigation LinksTownship of Tiny > Your Government > Election

​​Municipal Election - October 22, 2018

Election 2014 image2.jpg

As there is a potential for a Canada Post strike, we are advising electors to complete their Vote-by-Mail kits promptly and place them in the mail as soon as possible. Alternatively, the completed kits can be returned directly to the Township Office between normal business hours (9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) or after hours through the drop box located at the front of the municipal building.

The Vote-by-Mail kits were mailed the week of September 24, 2018. If you have not received your kit within a week's time, please contact the Township Office at 705-526-4204.

Please visit our Election webpage often for updated information on the 2018 Municipal Election.

View the List of Certified Candidates for Municipal Council below:

List of Certified Candidates - Council (revised as of August 31, 2018)
As a result of the sudden passing of Richard Hinton, the List of Certified Candidates has been revised in accordance with section 39 of the Municipal Elections Act.  It is with a heavy heart that we are required to do so.

Declaration of Vacancy of Office 

View the List of Certified Candidates for School Board Trustees below:

List of Certified Candidates - School Board Trustees


All Candidates' Meetings

Voters List 2018 - English
Voters List 2018 - French

Notice to Broadcasters and Publishers - Advertisements - Candidates and Registered Third Party Advertisers

Notice of Municipal Elections 2018

School Board Trustee 2018 - English
School Board Trustee 2018 - French

Key Dates:
May 1, 2018 - Nomination Period Begins
July 27, 2018 (before 2:00p.m.) - Nomination Day (last day to be nominated)
July 27, 2018 (before 2:00p.m.) - Final Day for Withdrawal of Candidacy
October 22, 2018 - Voting Day
December 3, 2018 - Council Term Begins
December 31, 2018 - Campaign Period Ends
March 29, 2019 - Financial Filing Deadline

What's New for the 2018 Municipal Election? Follow the link below to learn about changes to the 2018 Municipal Election as a result of amendments to the Municipal Elections Act.
What's New for the 2018 Municipal Elections

The Clerk is required to develop Election Procedures and forms for the use of any voting and vote-counting equipment as well as for any alternative voting method authorized by by-law. Please follow the link below for the 2018 Municipal Election Procedures for the Township of Tiny.
2018 Municipal Election Procedures - REVISED as of August 24, 2018 

Voter Information

Voters' Guide & Ministry Resources

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing has provided the 2018 Voters’ Guide for Ontario Municipal Council and School Board Elections for your information.

More information can be found at the Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing - Voter Information webpage.

Voter Eligibility/Ineligibility

A person is entitled to vote in the Township of Tiny Municipal El​ection if, on voting day he or she: 

  • Is a Canadian Citizen;
  • Is a least 18 years old;
  • Resides in the To​wnship of Tiny, or is the owner or tenant of land in the Township of Tiny, or the spouse of such a person; and
  • Is not prohibited from voting under any law.

The following are prohibited from voting in a municipal election:

  • A person serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution
  • A corporation
  • A person acting as executor or trustee or in another representative capacity.
  • A person convicted of a corrupt practice described in Section 90(3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996

Am I on the Voters' List? and Voter Registration

You must be on the Voters' List in order to vote. Checking the Voters' List is an important step to ensure that your name and address are listed correctly.

To see if you are on the Voters' List, please follow the link below:

Am I on the Voters' List?

If you are not currently on the Voters' List and need to register, please contact the Clerk's Department at (705) 526-4204.

Voter Identification

The following is a list of acceptable identification to have your name added to the Voters' List that must be an original, certified or notarial copy and shall show the person's name and qualifying address: 

  1. An Ontario Driver's Licence.
  2. An Ontario Health Card (with photo).
  3. An Ontario Photo Card.
  4. An Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion).
  5. A cancelled personalized cheque.
  6. A mortgage statement, leaser or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario.
  7. An insurance policy or insurance statement.
  8. A loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution.
  9. A document issued or certified by a court in Ontario.
  10. Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency of such a government.
  11. Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada).
  12. An income tax assessment notice.
  13. A Child Tax Benefit Statement.
  14. A Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E.
  15. A Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS).
  16. A Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P).
  17. A Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions.
  18. A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works.
  19. A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program.
  20. A Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007.
  21. A property tax assessment.
  22. A credit card statement, bank account statement, or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement.
  23. A CNIB Card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities.
  24. A hospital card or record.
  25. A document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a pot-secondary institution.
  26. A document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home.
  27. A utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission.
  28. A cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer.
  29. A transcript or report card from a post-secondary school.

Vote by Mail

​The Township of Tiny will be using Vote-by-Mail voting in the 2018 Municipal Election.

This voting method has been used for the last three elections and has proven to be effective in meeting the needs of our permanent and seasonal electors, as well as meeting accessibility requirements. 

Eligible electors in the Township of Tiny shall receive their Vote-By-Mail Kit the week of September 24, 2018.  The proposed last recommended date to return the completed kit by mail is October 11, 2018. 

Please follow the link below to view a video on completing your Vote-By-Mail kit.

 Vote-By-Mail Tutorial

Offices to be Elected

You may vote for the following offices in the 2018 Municipal Election:

  • Mayor (representative at Simcoe County Council)
  • Deputy Mayor (representative at Simcoe County Council)
  • Three Ward Councillors (elected at large)
  • One School Board Trustee/Conseiller for each:
    • English Language Public School Board
    • English Language Separate School Board
    • French Language Public School Board
    • French Language Separate School Board
The term of Council will begin on December 3, 2018 and end on November 14, 2022.

Candidate Information

Candidates' Guide & Ministry Resources

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing has provided the 2018 Candidates’ Guide for Ontario Municipal Council and School Board Elections for your information.

More information can be found at the Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing - Candidate Information webpage.

Eligible Offices

The following offices are to be elected in the 2018 Municipal Election:

  • Mayor
  • Deputy Mayor
  • Three Councillors (elected at large)
  • Trustee, English Public School Board
  • Trustee, English Separate School Board
  • Trustee, French Public School Board
  • Trustee, French Separate School Board 

The term of Council will begin on December 3, 2018 and end on November 14, 2022.

Candidate Eligibility/Ineligibility

To be a ​candidate for Mayor, Deputy Mayor, or Councillor, you must be:

  • A resident of the Township of Tiny, or an owner or tenant of land in the Township, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant
  • A Canadian Citizen
  • At least 18 years old on October 22, 2018
  • Not prohibited from voting by law

The following people are not permitted to be elected to municipal office:

  • any person who is not eligible to vote in the municipality
  • an employee of a municipality who has not taken an unpaid leave of absence and resigned (see above)
  • a judge of any court
  • an MP, an MPP or a senator
  • an inmate serving a sentence in a penal or correctional institution

To be a candidate for school board trustee, you must be:

  • A Canadian citizen
  • At least 18 years old
  • A resident within the Board's area of jurisdiction
  • A supporter of that school board
  • Not legally prohibited from voting

Registering as a Candidate

To run for the office of Mayor, Deputy Mayor or Councillor, candidates must file Nomination Papers in the Clerk's Office at the Township of Tiny. Municipal Election Candidate Packages are now available.

Nomination Papers may be filed at the Township of Tiny, Monday to Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. from May 1, 2018 to July 26, 2018 and on Friday, July 27, 2018, between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.  It is recommended that you make an appointment with the Clerk to file your nomination papers. 

To file, please bring the following information:

  • A completed copy of your nomination paper
  • Acceptable identification for proof of identity and residence
  • Filing Fee (This fee will be returned if the candidate's financial statement and auditor's report are filed on or before Friday, March 29, 2019 at 2:00 p.m.)
    • Mayor - $200
    • Deputy Mayor or Councillor - $100
  • Endorsement by at least 25 persons, including a prescribed declaration by each of the persons endorsing the nomination.

Once nomination papers have been filed, a candidate's campaign period begins. No money can be raised or spent in regard to a campaign until nomination papers have been filed.

Candidate Package

​The 2018 Municipal Election Candidate Packages are now available at the Township of Tiny. An electronic version of the relevant forms, notices and other election related information can be found below.

Relevant Forms and Notices:

Relevant Election Information:


Nomination papers must be filed in person at the Clerk's Office, from May 1, 2018 to July 27, 2018 between the hours of 9 am and 4 pm and between 9 am and 2 pm on July 27, 2018 (Nomination Day)

Campaign Finances

All candidates are required to file a Financial Statement – Auditor’s Report detailing the financial activities of their campaign. A candidate’s campaign period begins on the date a person files the nomination and ends on December 31, 2018.

The form must be submitted to the Clerk of the municipality in which the nomination was filed on or before March 29, 2019 at 2:00 p.m.

Financial statements must include notations of all money, goods, and services accepted by or on behalf of a Candidate for their election campaign.

The Clerk will issue an estimate of Maximum Campaign Expenses to all candidates upon filing nomination papers.

Candidate Information Sessions & Additional Resources

Candidates and those who are interested in running for an office are encouraged to attend one of the following Candidate Information Sessions.  These sessions will be conducted by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and will include a review of the responsibilities of candidates.

​April 18, 2018
6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Candidate Information Session


​September 18, 2018
7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Campaign Finances Session
Simcoe County Museum
1151 Highway 26, Minesing, ON L0L 1Y2

NEW - August 8, 2018

Campaign Finance Webinars - Please follow the link below for upcoming webinars as hosted by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs:

Ministry of Municipal Affairs - Campaign Finance Webinars

Please read the information below for additional resources.

The Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) provides a course entitled "So You Want to Run for Council?"  This course provides an overview of what you need to know before you decide to run for municipal office and what you should know to begin your candidacy.  Please click So You Want to Run for Council 2018 - AMO Online Course for complete details.

Under the current County of Simcoe governance structure, those successful in being elected to the office of Mayor and Deputy Mayor in one of the 16 member municipalities (lower-tier) are also automatically elected to serve as a member of Simcoe County Council as a County Councillor. Please click Candidates for Mayor and Deputy Mayor - County of Simcoe Information Sheet 2018 for complete details. 


Compliance Audit Committee

The Compliance Audit Committee receives and makes decisions on applications for compliance audits of campaign finances for Council candidates and registered third party advertisers in a municipal election or by-election. (Any compliance audit requests against a school board trustee candidate must be submitted to the appropriate school board).

The Committee performs functions relating to the compliance audit application process as outlined in the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.

These functions include:

  • considering whether an application for a compliance audit filed by an elector should be granted or rejected
  • appointing an auditor, if the application is granted
  • receiving and considering the auditor’s report and deciding whether legal proceedings should be commenced

The Committee is also responsible for considering reports from the Township Clerk identifying contributors who appear to have contravened election contribution limits.

The County of Simcoe has formed a Joint Compliance Audit Committee with local municipalities as required under the Municipal Elections Act. The Township of Tiny will form part of the Joint Compliance Audit Committee.


Third Party Advertiser Information

Third Party Advertisers' Guide & Ministry Resources

New for 2018! A registered third party is any individual, corporation or trade union that advertises to support or oppose a candidate or a "yes" or "no" question on the ballot for the municipal election.

A registered third party is subject to many of the requirements as that of a candidate including filing registration papers, expense limits and financial statements. No election advertising outside of a candidate or registered third party is permitted.

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing has provided the 2018 Third Party Advertisers’ Guide for Ontario Municipal Council and School Board Elections for your information.

More information can be found at the Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing - Third Party Advertiser Information webpage.

Third Party Advertiser Eligibility/Ineligibility

The following are permitted to register as a Third Party Advertiser:

  • An individual who is normally a resident in Ontario.
  • A corporation that carries on business in Ontario.
  • A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario.

The following are not permitted to register as a Third Party Advertiser:

  • any candidate running for any municipal council or school board office in any municipality;
  • a provincial political party, constituency association, registered candidate or leadership contestant registered under the Election Finances Act;
  • a federal political party registered under the Canada Elections Act or any federal constituency association or registered canadidate at a federal election endorsed by that party;
  • the Crown in right of Canada or Ontario, a municipality or local board;
  • anyone under the direction of a candidate whose nomination has been filed.

Registering as a Third Party Advertiser

An individual, corporation or trade union must register with the municipal clerk to be a third party advertiser in a municipality.

An individual, corporation or trade union can register to be a third party advertiser beginning on May 1, 2018, and can file a registration until the close of business on Friday, October 19, 2018. Registration must be filed with the municipal clerk in person or by an agent. There is no registration fee.

The municipal clerk must be satisfied that the individual, corporation or trade union is eligible in order to certify the registration. The registrant will be required to complete a Declaration of Qualifications and may be required to provide identification or additional documents.

A person who is filing as the representative of a corporation or a trade union should make sure that they can provide proof, satisfactory to the Clerk, that they are authorized to act on the corporation or trade union’s behalf.

Third Party Campaign Finances

Every third party is responsible for keeping financial records related to their advertising campaign. A third party may want to consult with an auditor or an accountant to make sure that they are using a bookkeeping and accounting system that will suit their needs.

The third party will be required to file a financial statement with records of all the information that must be included on the statement.

A third party must keep the following campaign records:

  • the receipts issued for every contribution including when the contribution was accepted and the date the receipt was issued (receipts must also be issued to the third party for any contributions made to their own advertising campaign)
  • the value of every contribution, whether it is money, goods or services, and the contributor’s name and address
  • all expenses, including the receipts for each expense
  • any claim for payment of an expense that the third party disputes or refuses to pay
  • the funds raised and expenses incurred from each separate fundraising event or activity
  • the terms of any loan received from a bank or other recognized lending institution

A registered third party can only accept contributions or incur campaign expenses during their advertising campaign period.

The advertising campaign begins on the day the individual, corporation or trade union is registered as a third party advertiser. Third parties can register beginning on May 1, 2018 until the close of business on Friday October 19, 2018.

The advertising campaign period runs until December 31, 2018. The time between election day and the end of the campaign period can be used to accept contributions if the campaign has not paid for all of its expenses.

If a third party is certain that they will not have any more financial activity after voting day, they can end their advertising campaign at any time between voting day and December 31, 2018.

Participate in the Ministry of Municipal Affairs' 2018 Municipal Election Webinars to find out more about Third Party Advertising.

Third Party Financial Contributions

Contributions are any money, goods or services that are given to a third party for use in the campaign, including money and goods that the third party contributes to their own campaign.

A third party can accept contributions from:

  • any person who is a resident of Ontario
  • corporations carrying on business in Ontario
  • trade unions that hold bargaining rights for employees in Ontario

If the registered third party is an individual, and their spouse is not normally resident in Ontario, the spouse can still make contributions to the third party’s advertising campaign. They may not make contributions to any other registered third party, or to any candidates.

Groups such as clubs, associations or ratepayer’s groups are not eligible to make contributions. The members of these groups may make individual contributions from their personal funds, as long as they are residents of Ontario.

The following are not allowed to make contributions to third party advertising campaigns:

  • a federal political party, constituency association, or a registered candidate in a federal election
  • a provincial political party, constituency association, or a registered candidate or leadership contestant
  • a federal or provincial government, a municipality or a school board.

A third party can only accept contributions once they have registered as a third party advertiser, and cannot accept contributions after the advertising campaign period has finished.

Any contributions received outside the advertising campaign period must be returned to the contributor. If the contribution cannot be returned to the contributor, it must be turned over to the clerk.

There is no limit on how much a registered third party (and, if the third party is an individual, their spouse) can contribute to their own advertising campaign.

There is a $1,200 limit that applies to all other contributions. This amount includes the value of any goods or services donated to the third party advertiser. If an individual, corporation or trade union makes more than 1 contribution (e.g. contributes money, contributes goods, and purchases a ticket to a fundraising event), the total value of all the contributions cannot exceed $1,200.

The maximum total amount that a contributor can give to third parties registered in the same municipality is $5,000.

A contribution must come directly from the contributor – pooling contributions from others and giving them to a third party advertiser is not allowed. If a contribution is made from a joint account, it must be clear which person is making the contribution.

Only a contribution that is $25 or less can be made in cash. All contributions above $25 must be made by cheque, money order, or by a method that clearly shows where the funds came from (e.g. certain debit, credit or electronic transfer transactions).

Third party advertisers are required to inform every contributor of the contribution limits. Contributors should keep track of their donations to ensure they don’t end up giving more than is permitted.


2014 Candidate Financial Statements

Section 78 of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, requires that every person that has filed a nomination paper with the Township of Tiny to participate as a candidate in the Municipal Elections (even those persons who subsequently withdraw their candidacy) file a financial statement with the Township Clerk no later than 2:00 p.m. on March 27, 2015. 

The financial statements detail the income and expenses incurred during a candidate’s campaign.  The Municipal Elections Act, 1996 does not require the Clerk or the municipality to analyze or review the financial statements for accuracy or correctness.  The Clerk needs only to determine whether or not a candidate has failed to pay any campaign surplus to the municipality or has incurred expenses in excess of the spending limit for the office.

Pursuant to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, the official copies of the candidates’ financial filing statements are the hard copies filed manually with the Clerk. These documents are public documents and are available for inspection at the Clerk’s Department during normal business hours.  Any person may make extracts from the documents and is entitled to copies of the documents but in accordance with Section 88(10) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, the information obtained shall only be used for election purposes.

Section 88(9.1) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 provides that the Clerk shall make the documents filed under sections 78 and 79.1 available at no charge for viewing by the public on a website or in another electronic format as soon as possible after the documents are filed. 

Please follow the links below for the 2014 Candidate Financial Statements:

Richard Bryan

Andre Claire

Daralis Collins (withdrew)

George Cornell

Peter Davenport

Cindy Hastings

Richard Hinton

Anthony Lancia - Notice of Default issued March 30, 2015

George Lawrence

John Machnik

Steffen Walma

Nigel Warren

Dick Wesselo

Gibb Wishart