The Township of Tiny is seeking a qualified applicant for the position of a full-time contract Building Official for a period of 24 months. Reporting to the Chief Building Official, this position will be responsible for the enforcement of the Building Code Act, the Ontario Building Code (OBC) and all other applicable Township By-laws policies and procedures. Responsible for the review of the Planning and Development’s portion of short-term rental accommodation license applications through the Granicus software. As a result of the new short-term rental accommodation license requirements in the Township, this position will be the point person for assisting applicants in: closing open building permit files through site inspections, follow up with violations and Building Code Orders, participate in prosecutions and review permit records for both building and sewage. This position will also be required to review minor planning matters such as zoning and parking requirements for short term rental accommodations. This position requires an individual who enjoys working with the public, with minimal supervision and in a fast-paced environment who has the ability to prioritize workloads.
- A minimum three-year college diploma in a related field such as Architectural Technology, Construction Engineering Technology or Civil Engineering Technology.
- A minimum of three years of municipal building department experience.
- Possess a valid “G” driver’s license with a clean driver’s abstract.
- Registered and Qualified with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and housing with a minimum in the following areas of specialization: Powers and Duties of Chief Building Officials, On-site Sewage Systems, House, Plumbing House and HVAC House. Other areas may be required by the Chief Building Official depending on the needs of the Township.
- Certified Building Code Official (C.B.C.O.) or Building Code Qualified (B.C.Q.) designation as assigned by the Ontario Building Officials Association (OBOA) Must maintain certification with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing through specialized on-going courses and yearly registration renewals.
- Must stay current with innovative construction methods, materials and building systems through seminars and workshops.
- Detailed knowledge of health and safety regulations, requirements and best practices to ensure a safe working environment.
- Certification in WHMIS.
- Certification in Working at Heights and Trench Safety through Construction Workplace Safety Training.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and be competent with all Microsoft Office programs and ability to learn all applicable municipal programs and systems.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Register yearly with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.
- Willingness to attend courses and seminars to maintain competency and gain maintenance points through the Ontario Building Officials Association
- First Aid & CPR Certification would be an asset.
- Bilingualism in English and French an asset.
The Township of Tiny offers a competitive package. Salary range - $33.35 to
$41.70/hour, based on a 35 hour work week. Visit www.tiny.ca for a detailed job description.
Individuals having these qualifications are encouraged to submit a resume and letter of application by 12 noon, Friday, September 30, 2022 to:
Township of Tiny
130 Balm Beach Road West
Tiny, ON L0L 2J0
Fax: (705) 526-2372
We thank all applicants who apply for this position but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Corporation of the Township of Tiny is committed to a barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform us should an accommodation be required at any point in the recruitment process. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Personal information collected shall only be used for candidate selection, in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act R.S.O., 1990, c.M.56.